Diabetes Services Overview
You have come to the right place if you are affected by diabetes. WellStar’s award-winning department of Diabetes Services has the tools and people to help you, whether you have recently been diagnosed with pre-diabetes or a family member has had diabetes for many years.
What WellStar Offers You
We provide a wide range of services to assist you. Recent participants in WellStar's Diabetes Education Program had a 71 percent reduction in hospital admissions, and a 55 percent reduction in emergency room visits.
To see if you or someone you know can benefit from our services, check the risk factors below. The more you have, the higher your risk.
Diabetes Risk Factors
To identify your diabetes risk factors, check the following:
- I am 45 or older.
- I am overweight or obese.
- I have a parent, brother or sister with diabetes.
- My family background is African American, American Indian, Asian American, Pacific Islander or Hispanic American/Latino
- I have had gestational diabetes, or I gave birth to at least one baby weighing more than nine pounds.
- I have high blood pressure
- I am fairly inactive. I exercise fewer than three times a week.
Signs & Symptoms of Diabetes
Watch for these signs and symptoms of diabetes. Some people with diabetes may not exhibit any symptoms at all.
- Blurry vision
- Little or no energy
- Thirsty or hungry
- Frequent urination - especially at night
- Sudden weight change
- Numbness or tingling in hands or feet
- Slow-healing cuts or sores
- Frequent yeast infections
- Erectile dysfunction
If you suspect you may have diabetes, visit WellStar's Diabetes Diagnosis information and see your primary care physician. To find a physician, call 770-956-STAR (7827), or use our online physician search.