Dermatology is the medical practice devoted to the care and treatment of skin disorders. The skin is the body's largest and most visible organ, regulating body temperature, protecting other organs and preventing infection.
WellStar dermatologists deliver expert treatment for a variety of skin disorders, from life threatening skin cancers to uncomfortable rashes to cosmetic concerns, along with conditions of the hair and nails.
WellStar's dermatologists provide services and treatments in the following areas:
- Care for acne, eczema, psoriasis, warts, hives, ingrown toenail removal and cosmetic dermatology
- Minor surgery to remove skin tags, moles, cysts and some skin cancers
- Skin cancer evaluations and biopsies. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States.
The three types of skin cancer are classified by the types of epidermal or skin cells involved:
- Basal cell carcinoma is the most common type of skin cancer. It develops from abnormal growth of the cells in the lowest layer of the skin.
- Squamous cell carcinoma is found in the middle layer of the skin. This type of cancer is the second most common. Basal and squamous cell cancers are generally not life threatening, and can be cured with treatment.
- Melanoma occurs in the skin cells that produce pigment. It is less common than squamous or basal cell carcinoma, but more dangerous. It is the leading cause of death from skin disease.